Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu


Here is another recipe I am trying out:

Ingredients

1 box of chicken flavored Stovetop Stuffing
2-3 large skinless boneless chicken breasts, thawed and cubed

salt (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 c. of milk
6 slices of deli ham
2 tbsp. butter
6 slices of swiss cheese

Directions

1. Prepare stuffing as directed on box. Put aside.
2. Cube thawed chicken. Season with salt, black pepper and garlic powder to taste. Remember the other ingredients will add flavor and salt so go light on the seasoning. Put seasoned cubed chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
3. In a separate bowl, mix cream of chicken soup and milk. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
4. Layer ham on top of the chicken and sauce.  The recipe calls for 6 slices of deli ham. The slices I bought were not directly from the deli so they were smaller so I just put as much as I thought looked good...about two layers of ham slightly overlapping.
5. Spread cooked stovetop stuffing evenly on top of the ham.
6. Break butter into small pieces to dot on top of the stuffing.
7. Cook on low 4-6 hrs. (I opted for 6 hrs)
8. Turn on high, leave slow cooker open and cook on high for about 20 minutes to thicken liquid
9. Layer cheese, cover and cook until cheese melted.
10. enjoy!
Just before cooking for 6 hrs.














**Post cooking update**

The changes I would make next time:
1. Eliminate the salt. The stuffing, cream of chicken soup, and the ham add more than enough salt.
2. Put less milk. The second day it was fine but when it was done cooking it was very runny and the stuffing sort of mixed in with everything instead of staying on top which gave it an unappealing presentation.
3. If using thawed chicken again, I think would cook it closer to the 4 hr cook time as opposed to the 6 hr time. My crockpot tends to run hot and the chicken was a little dry and while the bottom didn't exactly burn, it was definitely very brown on the bottom.

All in all, I think that I would make this again because it was very yummy.  I think my changes will make it even better! Post a comment if you try this and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment